Connecting To Your Content
How to Connect to a Personal Computer
Note: A personal computer can only be added as a content source from that personal computer being added. Using the personal computer that you wish to add, complete the following:
- Select the menu icon in the Global Application bar.
- In the dropdown, select Add Content Source.
- Select the Personal Computer icon and follow the wizard. Note: You must be using the computer being added.
- In the setup wizard, you will have the option to edit the following device settings:
- Network settings
- Proxy settings to access the Internet
- Anti-virus settings
To edit these or to define which antivirus software on the host machine will be used to scan files uploaded to it, please refer to the section Device Settings.
Note: The antivirus software must already be installed and running with a valid license on the host machine.
Device Username - This is the username that use when you login to your PC. This field will be auto filled for you and taken from you the account you are currently logged in as.
Device Password - This is the password that you use when you login to your PC. You will need to enter the password for the account username above.
Device Domain (Optional) - If your PC is on a company or corporate domain, you will need to enter the domain that your device belongs to. Typical personal computers that are not part of a company or corporate network are not part of a corporate domain. Leave this blank if you are not sure or contact your IT department for your domain name or see the section below titled How to Determine Your Domain Name.
Activation Code - This code is entered automatically for you. For security reasons the code is time limited and will time-out if not used shortly. If the code does time-out, you will need to start again at Step 1.
Congratulations - You have connected FileFlex to a personal computer. You should continue connecting FileFlex to all your repositories by selecting Add More. If finished, click Done.
How to Determine Your PC Device Username
- Type Ctrl-Alt-Del keys at the same time.
- Select Start Task Manager.
- When Windows Task Manager opens, select the Users tab.
- Your device username is listed in the User column.
- Click on the Apple menu.
- Select System Preferences
- Click the Sharing icon.
- Your computer name will be listed at the top of the window that opens.
How to Determine Your Domain Name
Windows PC - On a Windows PC, if you are on a domain, the domain name will display at the top right of the dialog box when you click the Start button or on system log in. It will display your username and domain name as [username]\[domain name]. In the example below, "JANUS\adacosta" shows the domain name as "adacosta". You can also follow these steps:
- Click the Start menu button, and click Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and click the System icon.
- The name of your computer will be listed as the Full computer name.
- The domain your computer belongs to will be listed as the Domain. If, instead of Domain, you see Workgroup, your computer is not a member of any domain.
Mac Computer - If using a Mac computer, contact your IT department for your domain name.